Easy Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes with a rich vegan cream cheese frosting, a light crumb, and lots of texture.
These are cupcakes you’ll want to make again and again.
Author: Amanda Maguire | Pickles & Honey
Recipe type: Dessert, Cupcakes
Serves: about 12 cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
- 1 cup light spelt flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- ⅔ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup shredded dried coconut
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, plus additional for decorating
- ¼ cup raisins
for the frosting:
- 5 tablespoons vegan cream cheese (pour off any liquid on top before measuring)
- 5 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 2 cups vegan powdered sugar, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with 12 liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Add in the coconut sugar, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in the carrots, pineapple, coconut, walnuts, and raisins. Portion the batter into the cupcake liners. I like to use an ice cream scoop to measure evenly.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Clean out the large mixing bowl you used to make the cupcakes and add the vegan cream cheese and buttery spread. Use an electric hand or stand mixer to beat the cream cheese and buttery spread, then mix in ½ cup of the powdered sugar at a time. Beat until smooth and creamy, then stir in the vanilla. Spread a layer of frosting on top of the cupcakes and garnish with chopped walnuts. Enjoy!