Chickpea Nuggets are a healthy alternative to traditional chicken nuggets. This nugget recipe is plant-based (vegan), oil-free and gluten-free. These allergy-friendly Chickpea Nuggets are perfect for vegans or people with food allergies. Enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce.
- 1 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp corn crumbs
- …“ cup corn crumbs for coating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the drained chickpeas into a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- Then add all of the other ingredients except the last …“ cup corn crumbs for coating. Process a few more seconds.
- Everything will be well mixed and chunky texture.
- Scoop up teaspoon sized globs and roll them into balls then smash them into nugget shape.
- Pour corn crumbs into a bowl and coat each nugget with the corn crumbs.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay each nugget on the parchment but don’t let them touch.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 more.
- Allow nuggets to cool before eating.
This recipe makes about 20 nuggets. The four of us ate them in one sitting. Imagine a meal where everyone from the kids to the husband is happy eating the same thing.
UPDATE: Ive had a few people who made these and they were crumbly. Im adding the following photos to help you see what I do step by step. Hopefully it will help you come up with perfect nuggets. These photos arent the best but I hope they will help.
Drain your chickpeas well then pour them in a food processor.
Process them for a few seconds. They will still be very chunky. Add the spices and 1 Tbsp of corn crumbs. You will reserve the final 1/3 cup of corn crumbs for the coating.
Process the chickpeas a few more seconds. This should eliminate most of the chickpea chunks. The texture will be similar to a baked potato you mash up with your fork.
Scoop out the chickpea mixture with a spoon and roll it into a ball or oval with our hands. These should stick together well. Then you will roll them in the corn crumbs.
Lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake according to the times above.
Author: Holly Yzquierdo