Rodkal is a Scandinavian dish made from a mixture of red cabbage, butter (in this case, vegan), and apple or red currant jam.
This side is unique and flavorful, and the apples provide a nice sweetness and texture. Enjoy it cold or warn €“ it will give some wonderful color to your dinners!
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 2 apples
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups red currant juice or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut the cabbage thinly. Peel the apples and remove the cores and stems. Grate the apples.
- SautÃ© the cabbage and apple in the butter for a few minutes. Add vinegar, red currant juice, and sugar. Season with salt.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir in the cabbage occasionally during cooking.
- Taste and adjust with salt and sugar if necessary.