€œThis basic salad recipe is all about washing, prepping and dressing salad so you can really enjoy it €
- 4 large handfuls freshly picked lettuces
- jam jar dressing
- You’ll need a selection of freshly picked lettuces such as round lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, lamb’s lettuce, watercress, cos lettuce, little gem lettuce, chicory and radicchio (about 4 large handfuls). You’ll also need a jam jar dressing of your choice.
- To wash your salad leaves:
When you get your lettuces home, remove the roots and any not-so-nice outside leaves first, then click or tear off the rest of the leaves and give them a good old wash in cold water. Once theyre clean, give them a spin in a salad spinner or shake them dry in a tea towel.
- To store your salad leaves:
If you line a salad crisper drawer in your refrigerator with a couple of clean kitchen towels and lay your leaves on top, covering them with another towel, theyll keep there happily for 4 days. This way you can simply make up your own mixed salads, dressing the leaves with one of my jam jar dressings.
- To dress your salad leaves:
Pour the dressing from a height and gently toss the leaves, using the tips of your fingers, until every single leaf is coated.