Orange Couscous Curry
Masala (Spice Mixture):
- seeds of two green cardamom pods
- 1 ½ tbsp. coriander seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 spray canola oil or non-stick spray
- 1 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4 dried chilies, deseeded and cut into irregular strips (leave a few seeds in for added spiciness)
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbs minced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 ½ cups (12 oz.) orange juice
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium-large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed somewhat
- 1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained (use the kind that’s packed in juice)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/4 cup hot water
- Grind the masala ingredients to a powder. (I use a coffee grinder for this, but a good blender will work, too.)
- Heat a large, non-stick wok or dutch oven, and give it a quick spray of oil. Add the black mustard seeds, chilies, and cinnamon stick. Cook and stir until the mustard seeds begin to pop or until fragrant (without much oil, seeds may not pop, but that’s okay). Add onions, garlic, ginger paste, and masala. Sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, but be careful not to burn it.
- Add the orange juice and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini and carrots, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the green peas and chickpeas, and cook until heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the salt, couscous, mandarin oranges, and hot water. Stir well, cover, and remove from heat. Allow it to sit for at least five minutes before stirring. Serve hot or at room temperature or chill for a fantastic salad.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Nutrition (per serving, with salt): 315 calories, 19 calories from fat, 2.3g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 462.8mg sodium, 679mg potassium, 63.1g carbohydrates, 8.9g fiber, 14.3g sugar, 11.5g protein (without salt, sodium is 75mg).