Lemon meringue pie gets a makeover in this pink lemonade meringue pie!
The meringue topping is made from aquafaba, or the liquid from a can of chickpeas. It whips up into the fluffiest and delicious meringue ever. With it flaky crust, silky, lemony filling, and marshmallow-y meringue topping, this pie is perfect for any summer get-together.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold lemon flavored vodka
- 2 tablespoons cold water
FOR THE PINK LEMONADE FILLING:
- 1 whole wheat pie crust (recipe above)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 pink lemons or regular lemons, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup raspberries, juiced
- 1 cup silken tofu (one small package)
- 1 tablespoon agar agar (optional)
- 3 drops natural pink food coloring (optional)
- 1 recipe vegan meringue (recipe below)
FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (liquid from one can of chickpeas)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla (optional)
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Pour 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar into a food processor and pulse until combined, about 2 seconds.
- Add vegan butter and process until just combined. Add the shortening pieces and pulse until dough clumps together, about 15 seconds.
- Add the remaining cup of flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed (10-15 seconds). Empty the dough into a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka over dough and knead until combined. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. You probably wont need it all.
- Shape the dough into a ball balls and flatten it into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Roll your dough into a wide circle about 1/8-inch thick and press it into a 9-inch pie pan. Pinch the edges of the crust with a fork and pierce the bottom with a fork a few times.
- Bake the pie crust for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
TO MAKE THE PINK LEMONADE FILLING:
- To juice the raspberries, blend them, then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth. You can also substitute 1/3 cup of red fruit juice (pomegranate, strawberry, etc€¦).
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the water, lemon juice, lemon zest, raspberry juice, and agar agar (if using). Stir occasionally, to make sure the custard doesnt burn. Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until you have a thick mixture in the pan.
- Remove from heat and add the tablespoon of vegan butter. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the tofu in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the lemon mixture from the saucepan and pulse it all together until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Prepare the meringue according to the recipe below and heat your oven to 350°F.
- Pour the pink lemonade filling into your prepared pie crust. Top with meringue, being sure to create a seal with the crust. With the end of a spatula or spoon, create peaks in your meringue by dipping the end into the meringue and pulling it back out. These peaks will turn a lovely golden brown color in the oven, just like traditional meringue
- Place in your heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the meringue just begins to brown. Turn your heat to 375°F and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the meringue has golden edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about an hour. Refrigerate for one to two hours before serving.
TO MAKE THE MERINGUE:
- Pour the liquid from a can of chickpeas into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the balloon attachment. Add the cream of tartar and mix at medium-high speed until the mixture becomes frothy, about a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the sugar for 30-45 seconds so it becomes fine like caster sugar.
- Mix the aquafaba on medium-high speed and add the processed sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and continue mixing until stiff peaks form. If you dont have clear vanilla, skip this step.
- Add the xanthan gum to help the meringue keep stiff peaks. Mix for another minute or so, then spoon it onto your pie filling.