Vegetables are the true star of this hearty, healthy soup recipe, making it a a perfect option for your vegan friends.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with press
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 c. lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) lower-sodium black beans, undrained
- 1 c. frozen corn
- Avocado chunks and cilantro leaves, for serving
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add carrots, celery and onion. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste, garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is golden and tomato paste has browned. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits.
- Transfer contents of skillet to 6- to 8-quart slow-cooker bowl along with beans, corn and remaining broth. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours. Serve with avocado and cilantro.
Nutrition Information (per serving): About 325 calories, 14 g protein, 51 g carbs, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 g fiber, 535 mg sodium.