Soothing potato goodness at its best!
For me they are the simple, but adorably awesome food that goes with everything.
I like them prepared in different ways, but when I am extremely tired, dont feel like cooking, and still want something warm and satisfying I cook, 1-2 potatoes, then mash them with a fork, put some salt and a good amount of coconut butter, and here I go€¦ Sounds too simple, but indeed I feel like the combination of potatos with a healthy fat like the coconut is nutritious enough plus extremely satisfying to the taste buds.
Now this recipe is not so simplistic, but also includes another one of my favorite foods €“ mushrooms. They add to this recipe extra texture and taste that makes it absolutely irresistible. Combine these cakes with a big bowl of fresh salad and youre in for an amazing vegan feast!
9 cakes or more depending on the size
- Potatoes €“ 2 pounds
- Bay leaf €“ 2
- Oil €“ 2 tablespoons, divided (or more as needed for pan-frying)
- Mushrooms €“ 1/2 pound
- Onion €“ 150 g
- Dill €“ 10 g
- Flour €“ 1/2 cup
- Salt, pepper €“ to taste
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes with bay leaf until fully cooked.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Dice the onion and coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook on medium-low heat mixing occasionally until all the liquid evaporated. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until mixture starts to brown.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finally chop the dill, add it to the pan with mushrooms, mix and take off the heat.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them well and mash. Season to taste.
- Cool the potatoes.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of potato dough and flatten into a disk, place one spoonful of mushroom mixture and cover with more potato dough. Form into a disk.
- Once all the potato cakes are assembled, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Place potato cakes on the pan and fry about 5 minutes until they turn golden, flip and fry another 5 minutes until golden.
- Serve with leftover mushroom mixture if any left, some lemon juice, mustard or horseradish.