Summer Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Pomegranate-Peach Barbecue Sauce
28 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed (see tip), and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
5 cups Pomegranate-Peach Barbecue Sauce
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil + more for coating the grill
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 oz. small, round potatoes, halved and boiled until fork tender
1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
1 large red onion, quartered vertically, then halved crosswise
- In a large bowl, toss the tofu with 2 cups of the Pomegranate-Peach Barbecue Sauce until evenly coated. Transfer to a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and let warm to room temperature.
- Prepare a medium-high grill. While the grill is heating, add the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the potatoes, eggplant, green and red bell peppers, and onion and toss gently until evenly coated.
- Thread the tofu and vegetables onto 10 metal skewers. Pour the remaining 3 cups barbecue sauce and any remaining sauce from the Ziploc bag into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Brush the grill grate with oil. Put the kebabs on the grill and cook, turning frequently, until the tofu is lightly charred and the vegetables are fork tender, about 8 minutes. Serve with the warm barbecue sauce.
Tip: To press the tofu, put it on a plate, place another plate on top, and place a weight on top of that (a 28-ounce can of tomatoes works well) in order to press out the excess moisture. Let sit for at least 20 minutes and drain away the excess liquid.
Makes 5 Servings