Tzatziki is a brilliant and cooling condiment that is a gift from our Greek friends. While it has traditionally been used to dress meat dishes, it can easily and deliciously be used for vegetarian meals €” for veggie dipping, salad dressings, falafel, pitas stuffed with all kinds of goodies, or my own version of a delicious gluten-free vegan wrap.
One lazy summer Sunday I was hungry. I had discovered these amazing raw gluten-free vegan wraps and wanted to load them with fresh summer goodies, and I had dill and cucumbers in the garden. I also happened to have some recently made cashew sour cream. Thus my vegan tzatziki recipe was born.
Watch the latest 1 minute video tutorial to see just how easy it is€¦
Cashew Sour Cream
- 2 cups organic raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of good salt
- 1 €“ 1 1/2 cups good clean water
- 1 1/2 cup cashew sour cream (ingredients listed above)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cucumber, skinned and chopped finely
- 2 €“ 3 cloves raw garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Make the cashew sour cream: Soak the cashews in water for at least 3 hours to soften them and bring out their happy enzymes (they are more digestible in this form).
- Drain the cashews, and blend everything up in the blender. Add water in small amounts as needed to make it smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate until needed (it will thicken after refrigeration).
- Make the tzatziki: Combine all the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until needed.